Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo

I am a localization manager/translator and intercultural consultant living in Berlin (Germany), passionate about languages, cultures, diversity management, dancing and good movies.  

Interested in intercultural communication and/or diversity management? In the mood for a Tandem-partner or looking for someone willing to learn Spanish with you? Desperately seeking an enthusiastic dance partner for salsa, bachata, swing or charleston?
Hoping to find a blogging buddy willing to inspire and motivate you?

Just drop me a line for a coffee. I am always thankful for the chance to get to know interesting and fascinating people like you.
Copyright Azzurra Camoglio. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mood: Age Is Just a Number... or not?!

I'm a J-List subscriber, because I think that the newsletter can describe Japan in an interesting, unusual and fresh way. Yesterday I smiled, as I read:

This morning my wife walked into my office with a beautifully ornate wooden name plate, which she placed on top of my bookshelf. 2010 is my yakudoshi, my unlucky "year of calamity" according to a complex Japanese belief system that crossed over from China centuries ago, and my wife had asked a Buddhist temple that her relatives run to say special bad luck-removing prayers for me, writing my name on the wooden talisman. 
According to this yakudoshi system, the ages of 25, 42 and 61 (for men) and 19, 33 and 37 (for women) are extremely unlucky, and you should avoid doing certain things like building a house, starting a business or otherwise making a major change in your life during these years. (The years before and after each unlucky year are also somewhat unlucky.) 
Of course, I privately laugh at some of the superstitions the Japanese come up with, like do n't whistle at night or you'll be attacked by snakes, or if three people appear in a photograph together, the one in the middle will die young. But the yakudoshi belief is pretty much "the" primary superstition in Japan, held by every Japanese I've met, so just to be on the safe side, I'll avoid building any houses this year.

[A funny Purple Maneki-neko, or "Lucky cat"]

I'm 32 years old now... so I'm definitely living one of my somewhat unlucky years just right now. Fortunately, I'm not a superstitious woman. To be superstitious, it brings bad luck.

--
Sono abbonata alla newsletter di J-List, perché trovo che descriva il Giappone in modo interessante, originale e inedito. Ieri ho sorriso nel leggervi (la traduzione in italiano è opera mia):

Questa mattina mia moglie è venuta nel mio ufficio portando con sé una bella placca di legno decorata con il mio nome, che ha posto in cima alla mia libreria. Il 2010 è il mio yakudoshi, il mio  "anno sfortunato delle calamità" in base a un complicato sistema giapponese di credenze arrivato dalla Cina secoli fa, e mia moglie ha chiesto in un tempio buddhista che i suoi familiari si affrettino a dire preghiere speciali per me, in grado di rimuovere la sfortuna, scrivendo il mio nome sul talismano di legno. 
In base a questo sistema yakudoshi, gli anni 25, 42 e 61 (per gli uomini) e 19, 33 e 37 (per le donne) sono estremamente sfortunati e nel corso di questi anni bisognerebbe evitare di imbarcarsi in imprese come costruire una casa, intraprendere un'attività o fare un qualche cambiamento di rilievo nella propria vita (l'anno precedente e l'anno successivo ognuno di questi anni sfortunati sono anch'essi sfortunati, in qualche misura). 
In privato mi capita di ridere di alcune delle superstizioni che i giapponesi tirano fuori, naturalmente, come il non fischiettare di notte se non si vuole essere attaccati dai serpenti, o la credenza che se tre persone si lasciano fotografare insieme, quella che si trova nel mezzo è destinata a morire giovane. Ma dato che la credenza del yakudoshi è praticamente "la" superstizione numero uno in Giappone, onorata da praticamente qualunque giapponese io abbia conosciuto, non costruirò nessuna casa quest'anno. Giusto per amor di sicurezza.

Ho 32 anni... quindi posso affermare con sicurezza di star vivendo uno dei miei "anni in qualche misura sfortunati". Per fortuna non sono una donna superstiziosa, dato che essere superstiziosi porta male.

Tags: Japan, Giappone, China, Cina, Superstition, Superstizione, Luck, Fortuna, Business, Affari, J-List, Age, Età