Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo

I am a localization manager/translator and intercultural consultant living in Berlin (Germany), passionate about languages, cultures, diversity management, dancing and good movies.  

Interested in intercultural communication and/or diversity management? In the mood for a Tandem-partner or looking for someone willing to learn Spanish with you? Desperately seeking an enthusiastic dance partner for salsa, bachata, swing or charleston?
Hoping to find a blogging buddy willing to inspire and motivate you?

Just drop me a line for a coffee. I am always thankful for the chance to get to know interesting and fascinating people like you.
Copyright Azzurra Camoglio. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

How to be a perfect Little Mermaid

I've always loved Hans Christian Andersen's tales. But lately I just realised how much his 'The Little Mermaid' could be a very brilliant and profound metaphor about women who distort themselves, convinced that being pretty is the only important thing in life and the only way to be loved.

Without words, every person is nothing. Without words, every woman is nothing. For this reason, it's impossible for the Little Mermaid to have her happy ending and to live happily ever after. Disney version sucks.

Ariel: But without my voice, how can I...
Ursula: You'll have your looks... your pretty face... and don't underestimate the importance of "bo-dy lan-guage." Ha!
[singing]
Ursula: The men up there don't like a lot of blabber / They think a girl who gossips is a bore / Yes, on land it's much prefered / for ladies not to say a word / After all, dear, what is idle prattle for? / Come on, they're not all that impressed with conversation / True gentlemen avoid it when they can / But they dote and swoon and fawn / On a lady who's withdrawn / It's she who holds her tongue who gets her man.
The Little Mermaid by Ron Clements and John Musker (USA, 1989)



ps. But I really loved Enchanted and I'll write about it for Addicted to Chick films.

No comments:

Post a Comment