Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo

I am a localization manager/translator and intercultural consultant living in Berlin (Germany), passionate about languages, cultures, diversity management, body art, dancing, self-empowerment, coaching, effective communication and, last but not least, vegan gluten-free food and good movies.

How about you?
Copyright Azzurra Camoglio. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mood: My daily struggle with Sherlock Holmes, or how to reframe an absolute mindset

Black? White? 
Or grey?
How about Technicolor instead?

I have always been told that life is never "black or white". That what really matters, in a life, are nuances of grey: how many nuances, when, where, why, how long and so on. I would prefer to speak about nuances of purple, but it's the same concept.

And yet, there is that quote from one of Sherlock Holmes books written by Conan Doyle (and not by some other Sherlockians, just to be accurate and, once again, black or white):

I never make exceptions. An exception disproves the rule.
Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle [1859-1930]
The Sign of The Four


[Nicholas Rowe as Sherlock Holmes in

by Barry Levinson]



This quote really challenges me, because I spent my life working on how to be less "black or white", to be less "I'm sorry, no exceptions", to be less hard, not only with friends and acquaintances but first of all with myself.
In other words, I've tried and I'm still trying to be more human, more compassionate, more all-understanding. It's a daily struggle and I lose as often as I win, maybe more often. But I never give up.

This quote helps me, by acting as a reverted memento: I'm learning how to make exceptions and how to start considering this behavior as a sign of openness, curiosity, and mental agility and not just as an inexcusable weakness.

ps. I could obviously use a pic from Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes but nobody remember Barry Levinson's Young Sherlock Holmes any longer and it's really a shame, it's a great movie.

Tags: Sherlock Holmes, Quotes, Making exceptions, Agile mindset

Visiting the blog for the first time? Aloha!