Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo

I am a localization manager/translator and intercultural consultant living in Berlin (Germany), passionate about languages, cultures, diversity management, dancing and good movies.  

Interested in intercultural communication and/or diversity management? In the mood for a Tandem-partner or looking for someone willing to learn Spanish with you? Desperately seeking an enthusiastic dance partner for salsa, bachata, swing or charleston?
Hoping to find a blogging buddy willing to inspire and motivate you?

Just drop me a line for a coffee. I am always thankful for the chance to get to know interesting and fascinating people like you.
Copyright Azzurra Camoglio. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Monday, August 9, 2010

What language are you?


According to some theories, thoughts are influenced by the language that is used to express them. Languages are not an exact science, so I can't provide conclusive evidence on this, but just my personal experience. Am I a different person when I speak Italian, English, German or French? Yes, absolutely.

A better, worse, more or less interesting one? No, this is not the point. Or, at least, not my point. Languages are not equal, do not sound the same, are not built the same way, do not have the same kind of vocabulary. Thinking in one language or in another one surely affects what I want to say and how can I say it.

My German is not perfect yet and this puts me every day in front of a frustration I have never experienced by speaking Italian. Writing has always been easy for me. Does this situation make me a different person? Yes. Does it change what I think and what I mean? Yes. Does it change the perception I have of myself? Yes.

How the language you speak is affecting your life?

5 comments:

  1. Sic et simpliciter, se avessi avuto una sufficiente padronanza dell'inglese (eh, inglese... non giapponese o tedesco, mannaggia a me!) oggi sarei altro altrove. O forse no. Quantomeno, avrei potuto scegliere. E 'stic***i.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sic et simpliciter, se avessi avuto la conoscenza dell'inglese o del tedesco adesso sarei esattamente dove sono ma starei vivendo una vita completamente diversa. Non so se migliore o peggiore in assoluto, ma sicuramente diversa.
    Ci penso spesso, ma non posso cambiare il passato. Solo cercare di ottenere un futuro diverso.
    Scegliere è fondamentale. Quando non è possibile, bisogna fare il meglio che si è in grado di fare con quello che non si è scelto. Che ne pensi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. * se avessi avuto la conoscenza dell'inglese o del tedesco... che avrei voluto.
    Un pezzo di questa profondissima riflessione si era perso per strada. Insieme alla mia sintassi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cosa ne penso? Alibi. Si può sempre scegliere, sempre. Si può scegliere di tentare, anche dinanzi a un fallimento pressoché annunciato.
    Certo, in fondo anche scegliere di non tentare è una scelta. Questa, però, non porterà mai da nessuna parte.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @LC: Scusa se rispondo solo adesso.
    Sono assolutamente d'accordo. Aggiungo che quando non scegli, permetti che qualcun altro o qualcos'altro scelgano per te. Opzione che personalmente odio.
    Voglio sempre poter scegliere.

    ReplyDelete