Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo

I am a localization manager/translator and intercultural consultant living in Berlin (Germany), passionate about languages, cultures, diversity management, dancing and good movies.  

Interested in intercultural communication and/or diversity management? In the mood for a Tandem-partner or looking for someone willing to learn Spanish with you? Desperately seeking an enthusiastic dance partner for salsa, bachata, swing or charleston?
Hoping to find a blogging buddy willing to inspire and motivate you?

Just drop me a line for a coffee. I am always thankful for the chance to get to know interesting and fascinating people like you.
Copyright Azzurra Camoglio. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

A trip to Fiji, signals from another planet & 'The Truman Show'... or Men are that simple to understand?

Sometimes, if you change the perspective, everything stays the same. I'm not quoting Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa, the author of 'The Leopard', who wrote 'If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change'.
I'm talking about men. And women. And how they interact or try to do it. If you ask a woman, she will say that men are complicated and difficult to understand and that women are so simple. If you ask a man, he will say that women are complicated and difficult to understand. And that men are so simple. Not every time, but often.

Who's absolutely right? Well, both. It's just a matter of perspective. What we think about thoughts and intentions of someone else is far more important than what someone else is actually thinking. So it's almost impossible to understand someone, if we try to do it by giving to another person our own thoughts, intentions and fears. Men and women do that quite often, by trying to 'decode' strange signals that, instead of coming from another planet, are just coming from another person of the opposite sex.

A couple of days ago I receveid a funny story, posted on Worldstart.com, from someone absolutely sure that men are so simple:

Once upon a time, a genie appeared to a man, and offered him one wish.
'Well,' said the man, 'I've always wanted to go to Fiji, but plane tickets are so expensive, and boats are so slow. Can you build a bridge from Los Angeles to Fiji?'
'
I'm sorry,' the genie said. 'You're pretty much asking for the impossible. That's six thousand miles of bridge. Plus, you'll need fuel stations and motels on the way. I'm sorry, but you're going to have to ask for something else?'
'Oh,' said the disappointed man. 'Well, can you grant me the ability to understand women?'
The genie cleared his throat. 'How many lanes did you want on that bridge?'


[Jim Carrey as Truman Burbank in The Truman Show]

As I read it, I laughed out loud and I immediately thought of The Truman Show and how badly Truman Burbank want to go to Fiji. He's not alone, after all.

Do you think too that men/women are complicated?

Previous posts:
What do consultants actually do? A funny although veg-unfriendly story
Is it possible to seduce someone by using just words?

No comments:

Post a Comment