Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

A new Google Doodle says "Happy Birthday, Jane Austen!"

Google celebrates Jane Austen [1775-1817] with an elegant and romantic Doodle. 
The great author is my favorite writer ever. I have read all of her books several times, again and again, and each time I've discovered something new and unexpected in them. And in myself.


[Google Doodle for December 16th, 2010

Jane Austen's 235th birth anniversary]

Too often improperly described as boring, outdated, outmoded and "sugary", Jane Austen's works are actually still (and always have been) a fantastic and exciting reading.

Forget Becoming Jane - even if I'm in love with James McAvoy now and forever - and Pride & Prejudice with Keira Knightley and maybe take a look at The Jane Austen Book Club or at Gurinder Ghadha's Bride & Prejudice.



In her books, Jane Austen has been able to talk about the provincial England of her time with class, intelligence, wit and a pretty remarkable sarcasm, masked with good manners, corsets, and cups of tea. She was able to address issues such as sickness, death, poverty and women's ambitions in a way that is still fascinating and powerful. And in a funny way too!
Perhaps not everyone knows that, but "Bridget Jones's Diary" is just a re-writing of "Pride and  Prejudice".

And what about "Emma"? And "Persuasion", anyone?
How many generations of women have dreamed of the Darcy created by her?
Happy birthday, English bad girl!

Tags: Jane Austen, Cinema, Literature, Pride and Prejudice, The Jane Austen Book Club, Google Doodle, Anniversary

Further information:
The Jane Austen Centre

What to read next:
Funny merchandising for Jane Austen fans: Jane Austen bandages and beautiful stamps

Visiting the blog for the first time? Aloha!