Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo

I am a localization manager/translator and intercultural consultant living in Berlin (Germany), passionate about languages, cultures, diversity management, dancing and good movies.  

Interested in intercultural communication and/or diversity management? In the mood for a Tandem-partner or looking for someone willing to learn Spanish with you? Desperately seeking an enthusiastic dance partner for salsa, bachata, swing or charleston?
Hoping to find a blogging buddy willing to inspire and motivate you?

Just drop me a line for a coffee. I am always thankful for the chance to get to know interesting and fascinating people like you.
Copyright Azzurra Camoglio. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Yoga in the morning & the courage of being the best version of yourself

About six months ago I started to practice Bikram Yoga.

Berlin is a very yoga-friendly city and yoga studios are everywhere. Bikram Yoga studios are, however, way more rare than other kind of yoga studios, because not every studio has the right equipment for Bikram Yoga classes.
We are talking about a kind of Hatha Yoga that people practice in a room heated to 40°C with a humidity of 40%.

Also known as Hot Yoga, Bikram Yoga is practiced in classes that run for 90 minutes and consist of 26 postures (called "Asanas") and 2 breathing exercises. Tools of the trade are only a yoga mat, a beach towel and a water bottle with at least 500ml beverage, since it´s normal to sweat a lot.

[My yoga mat is Purple, of course!]

The name originates from the founder of the system, Bikram Choudhury, and while writing this post I have discovered that Bikram Yoga is very "in", as it has been practiced by Hollywood stars, famous singers, burlesque beauties and David Beckham in the last couple of years.

I am not very good at it, so far, but this is not a big deal at all. While practicing yoga one has to stay focused on the Asanas, to live in the moment, to not compare himself or herself with other people. So it is not so important that I am not a very talented yogi yet and that other people are better than me, since I have to focus on my own experience, on my own body, on my improvements. 

Invested time, regular exercise and constant repetition of the postures makes the master, so I am on my way to become a better yogi, class after class. No pressure, no stress, no dissatisfaction. As they say: the journey is the reward, the path is the goal, the way is the aim. And so on.

After some experiments, I have found out that Sunday morning is the perfect time of the week for me to practice yoga.
So today in the morning I was in a new yoga studio, about to start a new class, and I noticed a blond, skinny girl with a pink tank top and sunglasses. Sunglasses in the bathroom of the yoga studio?! At the beginning I found that a little bit strange, but then I realised that she was visually impaired.

In the class I was practicing not far away from her and even if I focused on my Asanas, I looked at her often, with great admiration for her courage and determination.

I was happy to have her in the class and more than once I found myself thinking about how often we are used to complain about problems and barriers, even if our barriers are - most of the time - not real.
Her barrier - not being able to see, not being able to look at the teacher's postures - is real, and yet she has the courage of being the best version of herself, to run a normal life, to do what she wants.
To be the only visually impaired person in a room full of people who can see her, while she can't see them.

A Bikram Yoga class is very rewarding, but also exhausting and goal number one is always staying in the room for the whole 90 minutes, even if one is not able to complete all Asanas. The girl stayed in the room the whole time. She was quiet, motivated and she did every posture, without help. 

Seeing her being the best version of herself gave me strength.
I hope to see her next Sunday. I am going to be there.

Tags: Bikram Yoga, Hot Yoga, Courage, Being visually impaired