Me, Myself & I

My photo

I am a localization manager/translator and intercultural consultant living in Berlin (Germany), passionate about languages, cultures, diversity management, dancing and good movies.  

Interested in intercultural communication and/or diversity management? In the mood for a Tandem-partner or looking for someone willing to learn Spanish with you? Desperately seeking an enthusiastic dance partner for salsa, bachata, swing or charleston?
Hoping to find a blogging buddy willing to inspire and motivate you?

Just drop me a line for a coffee. I am always thankful for the chance to get to know interesting and fascinating people like you.

Purple Pageviews


Copyright Azzurra Camoglio. Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Just sing it! Sing what? But 'Azzurra', of course!

In Italian, my mother tongue, Azzurra is a very particular and unusual name.

It's absolutely not a biblical or otherwise religious one, it's definitely not a traditional one, it's not even featured in the calendar with all Catholic saints and literally means 'azure' or 'light-blue'. Or, to put it better, 'something female which colour is light-blue'.
Yes, you got it right: my name is actually not even a proper name, since it is an adjective and Italian adjectives change on the basis of gender and number.

[Not only Paolo Conte and Adriano Celentano sing Azzurro...
there is also a peculiar cover 
by the famous German punk band Die toten Hosen]

All my life, I've being asked a lot of stupid questions about it and in particular if my name does come from Adriano Celentano's song 'Azzurro' (written by Paolo Conte) or from Lucio Battisti's song 'Acqua azzurra, acqua chiara', that are very popular in Italy and, I've lately discovered, in Germany too.

[I am sorry, but I had nothing to do with the famous
Italian yacht racing team that competes in the 1983America's Cup]

Sometimes people ask me even if my name does come from the sailing boat that once has competed in the 1983 America's Cup. I was already six years old, at that time.

[Elvis Presley vs. Little Tony,
Image source: Carlo Casale]

But. Today I've discovered a truly ugly song from Little Tony, an Italian Elvis Presley's clone. The title? Azzurra!? The song is really terrible, but... enjoy it!

Tags: Azzurra, Adriano Celentano, Paolo Conte, Azzurro, Lucio Battisti, Acqua azzurra acqua chiara, Colours, Light-blue, America's Cup, Little Tony, Italy, Music, Strange names

No comments:

Post a Comment