Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

While dealing with (stupid) cultural stereotypes, repeat after me: I'm not Marlon Brando, you're not Marlon Brando

Apart from learning new words, the hardest thing for me while speaking German is to improve my pronunciation.
Italian and German are absolutely different from this point of view and Italian intonation is too sweet and melodic to fit well into German.

In Italian, there's no H at all, the vowels are often open, there's no 'ch' as in 'ich'.
I do phonetics exercises almost every day and I try very hard to speak properly, but my pronunciation is not perfect yet. But.


[Genial and stylish, even if he has nothing to do
with real Italian people and how they speak:
Marlon Brando as Don Vito Corleone
in The Godfather (1972) by Francis Coppola]

There's one thing I hate and find 100% idiot. When I meet new people and they discover I'm Italian, they start chanting two or three sentences in Italian by marking too many double consonants, overdoing intonation, and by gesturing in an exaggerated way, as if we were in a scene of The Godfather.

It's a behavior that I find not only rude but also stupid, because these people think they are funny and witty. Usually, this is the first and last time I talk to people like that. I have no time for stuff like that. Would you?

Tags: Learning a language, German, Italian, Languages, Pronunciation, Phonetics, The Godfather, Cultural stereotypes

What to read next:

Visiting the blog for the first time? Aloha!