Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Words one should better forget, while learning a new language

During the last year, one of my worst nightmares has been...
Learning new German words, in order to improve my vocabulary and to enhance my language skills in German.
Yesterday I had just another chance to observe that, sometimes, instead of learning new words, it's actually better to forget some of them or to rather never use them.


One of the most dangerous is certainly "typisch", that in German means "typical".

Even if I don't like to generalize, I have to notice, day in and day out, that, funny enough, one of the most "terrible" things you could tell most Germans is: "You are typical as a German".
Usually, awkward cricket silence follows.
Yes, even if you mean it absolutely in a good way and you are paying them a compliment.

Mental note to myself: Never use the word "typical" when it comes to another culture.
You will not get anything good. Even if what you're saying is actually typical.

Tags: Clichés about Germans, Diversity, Cultural stereotypes, Being typical, Awkward intercultural misunderstandings

What to read next:
The first secret of intercultural communication, or why screaming a name in the wrong language is not always the best choice for making new friends


Visiting the blog for the first time? Aloha!