Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Mood: Time Travel in Purple Feat. "my" wedding dress and the best white edgy wedding dress ever

To be honest, I have to say immediately that, of course, in comparison with the main characters of Four Weddings and a Funeral, I am just an absolute beginner. 
And yet, about eight years ago, I reached that "wedding age", in which one starts to get at least a couple of wedding invitations every year. 
If you are going to reply that you started going to weddings when you were six, please stop. That is not the kind of weddings I am talking about.

I am talking about the weddings of your friends, of your schoolmates, of your ex-boyfriends, of your flatmates, of your colleagues... Weddings of people in your age or even way younger than you. 

[The amazing cast of Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) 
by Mike Newell, from left to right: 
Kristin Scott Thomas, Hugh Grant, Simon Callow, 
Andie MacDowell, Charlotte Coleman, John Hannah, James Fleet]

Yes, exactly that kind of weddings. Glad that we are on the same page, now.


Even if I have never been into weddings and I never actually thought seriously about getting married, each time I can't help to feel the social pressure while being stuck in a sort of nice and yet somehow nightmare-like scenario. 

Getting a wedding invitation. Just another one wedding invitation, like the one before. 
Choosing the dress. Choosing the shoes. Choosing the make-up. Doing my best to look great.

Going to the wedding. Being asked (again) when I am going to be next one. From a guest. And from another guest. And from another one. And finally from the mother of the bride.

Being forced to compete with other women for the throwing of the bouquet. Actually getting the bouquet (it happened more than once already...) and then being asked (again) when I am going to be the next one, then.

I am surrounded by married friends and acquaintances, married colleagues, married schoolmates. I am even already surrounded by married friends and acquaintances and colleagues and schoolmates with children. Even by married Tandem partners.
But... every time when I start to think that everybody is married and that I am not going to get another invitation... I realized that I just forgot someone. Someone who is going to marry soon, of course.

[Not my style, and yet still amazing after over twenty years.
Best white unusual & edgy wedding dress ever:
Molly Ringwald as Betsy Hopper in
Betsy's Wedding (1990) by Alan Alda,
with Alan Alda and Madeline Kahn]

Strangely enough, I still love going to weddings. I still love getting the wedding invitations. I still love seeing my loved ones being nervous, excited, fancy dressed, touched and ready to spend the rest of their lives with someone.

But what about me? Well, it is just not my piece of cake.
When I was a teenager and I had already started to dress in purple, people asked a lot how my wedding dress would look like, one day.
A white one? Or a purple one? And I replied that the dress would have to be purple, of course. To be very gorgeous. To be bigger than life. In rétro style. 
Almost no one believed me then.

[Gorgeous purple dress in rétro style in a shop window 
at the Christmas market in Gendarmenmarkt
(Friedrichstadt, Berlin), December 2013]

Today in the morning, I saw the wonderful dress I am posting here and I smiled.
Thinking about my wedding, that is not going to happen anytime soon, with a dress like that. Enjoying a very special kind of time travel back to my teens.
And looking forward to the next wedding invitation.

Tags: Wedding invitations, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Betsy's Wedding, Wedding dresses

What to read next:
The gratefulness habit that can have a huge influence on your life and takes only ten minutes a day

Visiting the blog for the first time? Aloha!