Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Friday, May 29, 2020

Coaching, reloaded - Coaching question of the day #79. - Setting goals like a she-devil

If you would ask me what's one of the best books about goal-setting that I ever read, you would be very surprised by my answer.
The title would not be among the usual suspects: not a self-help guide, not a SMART manual, not even a book about Teal, Agile methods, or Jobs to be done.

It would be... a novel. Written by a woman. In the 80s. And made into a (quite decent) black comedy movie starring Meryl Streep and Roseanne Barr: "The Life and Loves of a She-Devil" by Fay Weldon. 

[Goal-setting... can have many faces.
What's yours?]

Without giving too much away, let's just say that Ruth, the main character, is ready to go all-in in order to achieve her most important long-term goal while displaying incredible determination, cleverness, and a huge amount of flexibility. 

Every page of the book is a new occasion for admiring the grit, the patience, and the astonishing perseverance of this unusual antiheroine and it gives the word "strategy" a new meaning. 
Needless to say, behaving like a she-devil is not necessary for achieving a very ambitious goal, but keeping in mind every day what's the end goal that every single action should make possible helps a lot.

Coaching question of the day: 
"What's your most important long-term goal?"

Tags: Coaching question, Self-coaching, Self-awareness, Goal-setting, Books


Visiting the blog for the first time? Aloha!