Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Monday, January 7, 2013

The good old motto "Show, don't tell" is hale and hearty. How can you show your skills?

Have you ever heard about Harvey Mackay?
Do you know exactly what a business columnist actually does?

I have to admit that I discover this sharp man and motivational writer, born in 1932, thanks to a very empowering quote that has a big impact on me lately, like it should be the case with very powerful ideas.

A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.
Harvey Mackay

To me, it seems to be a reloaded and even better version of the good old "Show, don't tell", that still happens to be very effective and true.
And how about this one?


["Time is free, but it's priceless" Oh yeah, Mr. MacKay.
Why I didn't discover you about ten years ago?
Oh well, today is the second best moment for it, I guess]

What I learned is that, if someone thinks that you are amazing, you are going to discover it for sure.
It's better to let other people judge by themselves who you are and what they think about you and your performance, instead of spending your time by saying "I am good at this, I am good at that".
Not only because you are maybe not as good as you think, after all, but also because you would sound somehow cocky and vain.

What you can do, to show your skills instead of telling them?

#1. Show up, every day. Even if you don't feel like it.
#2. Be reliable. Even if others aren't.
#3. Make promises and then keep them. Even if you don't have the time.
#4. Care about quality instead of quantity. Even if quantity is easier or cheaper to obtain.
#5. Be yourself. Always. Even if you are scared.

Do you agree?
In your opinion, how can you show your personality and your talent?

Tags: Harvey Mackay, Quotes, Show don't tell, Showing up

What to read next:
How to spend your next 16,000 days on Earth in the best way, and why that matters a lot 


Visiting the blog for the first time? Aloha!