Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Memory Vs. Imagination, which one would you choose?

Today someone asked me one of the famous one million dollar questions. And it was a very good question indeed, and yet I was surprised because, at that moment, I realized that I have never asked myself something like that, at least on a conscious level.

[Good memories, anyone?
Mnemosyne, the titaness of memory 
celebrated in the Greek mythology]

And... here we are with the question.
What would you prefer? 
To have some wonderful memories or to imagine something wonderful?

I had to think a little about that and...
I knew that I would go for the memories, every single time. Beyond a shadow of a doubt.

This may never start.
We could fall apart.
And I'd be your memory.
Lost your sense of fear. 
Feelings insincere.
Can I be your memory?

So get back, back, back to where we lasted.
Just like I imagine.
I could never feel this way.
So get back, back, back to the disaster.
My heart's beating faster.
Holding on to feel the same.

Sugarcult, Memory
(Palm Trees and Power Lines, 2004)

To have some memories means to me that I had experienced something worth it, met someone inspiring, talked about something interesting, felt something deeply, saw something beautiful, kissed someone sexy, read something funny, loved someone with heart and soul, eaten something delicious, danced all night long, heard a great song, cried desperately, laughed loudly, traveled wonderful places, learned something useful, tried something new, lost someone for good, made mistakes etc.

[Life without memories:
Guy Pearce as Leonard 
in Memento by Christopher Nolan (USA 2000)]

Having memories means to me that I have lived. And that I am alive.
To imagine something is also very interesting, and fun to do, and exciting and sexy and maybe safer than having memories, but I would go for memories anyway.

The person asked me as well if I had some very special memories and even before replying, I remembered immediately at least three-four special moments in my life and suddenly I was completely happy. And I smiled. 
And I understood that I have never asked myself something like that, because the answer lies in how I lived in the past and in how I live now.

Which one would you choose? And why?

This one is for Martin.

Tags: Memory, Imagination, Way of life, Sugarcult

What to read next:
Short and sweet motivational questions for your self-care #4. The most important guest at every party

Visiting the blog for the first time? Aloha!

Where to start, if you are new