Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Friday, July 24, 2020

Coaching, reloaded - Coaching question of the day #135. - Your Northern Star

For over sixty years, the most interesting character of many Hollywood romantic movies has been... the best friend of the main female character: Ironic, smart, independent, generous, and above all fun.

One of my favorite ones? Judy Greer as Casey in the chick flick 27 Dresses by Anne Fletcher, where at one point she gives her best friend a very interesting piece of advice: "You could have told him face-to-face. I mean, I know my moral compass doesn't exactly point due north, but... if I say something's wrong, something's wrong."

[When they say that there is light at the end of the tunnel,
maybe they are talking about a shiny star instead]

This piece of advice is all about self-awareness and knowing where to stand.
The metaphor of having a moral compass pointed in the right direction stuck with me for many years after seeing the movie.

Funny enough, the concept of a "Northern Star" has been popularized in business as well, where it symbolizes the end-goal that should always be kept in mind while setting short-term and mid-term goals for a company, in order to "find the way" and to know in which direction you should go.
With a Northern Star, you can't get lost, and it is easier to understand if something is worth your time and attention or not.

Coaching question of the day:
"What's the Northern Star you are aiming to reach?" 

Tags: Coaching question, Self-coaching, Self-awareness, Self-reflection, Goal-setting, Quotes, 27 Dresses, Moral compass

What to read next:
Visiting the blog for the first time? Aloha!