Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Sunday, April 4, 2021

Coaching, reloaded - Coaching question of the day #389. - "Snarky" is not a synonym for "sexy"

For some people, being cynical or sarcastic is a synonym for being sexy and clever.
I dare to disagree. 

If being cynical or sarcastic is a synonym for something, then it's a synonym for being snarky, irritable, or irreverent. Nothing cool, I would say.
It doesn't make someone sound intelligent or smart, it does make them sound aggressive and rude instead.


[My favorite strategy?
Keeping as calm and cool as possible. How about yours?]

Snarky remarks are more often than not a sign of insecurity, emotional immaturity, and of a certain kind of passive-aggressive communications style.

Even more so if it's not your cup of tea, like it's not mine, it's important to think about how you want to deal with this type of attitude in advance, so that you can be prepared the next time that someone has nothing better to do than trying to "outsmart" you while being snappy and impertinent.

The best answer, in my opinion?
Smile, and be as nice and polite as you can. Sarcasm tends to fall flat when the recipient of the comments is not affected by them.

Coaching question of the day: 
"How do you deal with snarky remarks?"                           
                                                    
Tags: Coaching question, Self-coaching, Self-awareness, Self-reflection, Sarcasm, Verbal provocation, Emotional intelligence

What to read next:

Visiting the blog for the first time? Aloha!
Where to start, if you are new